People look forward to their retirement for years. Once it comes, they often don't know what to do. Here are some tips for making the most of your retirement.
1. Find a way to serve. Many people miss the feeling of productivity. The days can feel really long. The best way to combat this is to find some ways to serve in your community. You can:
- Volunteer at a local hospital
- Become a big brother or big sister
- Feed the homeless
- Send letters or packages to soldiers
- Talk to a local church and get involved in one of their projects
- Volunteer for the Red Cross
- Work at an animal shelter
- Mentor students online
- Join a clinical trial
There are many websites out there that will match you with volunteer opportunities.
2. Make connections. Reconnect with family members and old friends. Make some new friends. If they are retired too, you will have plenty of time to get together. You can go to lunch, travel, explore local museums, volunteer together, exercise, play games, pick up a sport.
3. Move to a retirement community. Even if you are in great health, a retirement community like Heritage Commons has much to offer. They can take care of your yard, set up activities, offer meals (at least some do), give transportation, whatever you need. It just depends on which retirement community you choose. You will also have more of a chance to get to know other people in their retirement and make some new friends.
4. Go back to school. If you didn't finish a degree or would like to get another, go back to school. There are lots of online classes you can take if you don't want to go to classes on a campus. Most campuses will allow you to attend classes for free, too, if you just want to learn something new and don't care about getting a degree.
5. Travel. Right after retirement is the perfect time to see the world. Gather some friends and family and go to all the places you love. Cruises are a great way to see a lot of places without having to do much planning. If cost is an issue, start earning reward points through credit cards. There are all kinds of bonuses for signing up (and using) different cards. Travel becomes much more affordable when your flights are hotels are free.
Whatever you do, don't sit around! Follow these five tips and make the most of your retirement.